If you think Netflix contains the same amount of titles across all regions, you’re wrong. The US Netflix library contains nearly 4 times more movies and TV shows compared to the British UK Netflix version. That’s a huge difference. Many movies and shows are also released earlier on US Netflix. The good news, however, is that it’s possible to use a Netflix account created in Britain to watch American Netflix. All you need to do is change your country virtually. By using VPN or Smart DNS proxies, you can change your Netflix version from UK to USA. In this article we will try to show you how to use VPN and Smart DNS to bypass all sorts of geographic restrictions, unblock and watch American Netflix on Apple TV in UK.
How to watch American Netflix on Apple TV in UKusing VPN or Smart DNS proxies
Unblock US American Netflix on Apple TV in Britain – DNS proxies
Smart DNS proxies re-route some of your internet connection to make it seem that you are located in USA instead of UK. This way Netflix will give you access to its US version instead of the British Netflix. This also works if you want to unlock other American streaming sites such as Hulu Plus, Crackle, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, and many more. Smart DNS proxies have more benefits.
- You will not experience any decrease in internet speed when using Smart DNS.
- Smart DNS works on virtually all devices including iPhone, iPad, Android, Smart TV, Blu-ray Player, Xbox, Wii, PS4 just to name a few.
- Using Smart DNS, you get to watch content from more than one region at the same time. This means you could stream US Netflix on your Apple TV and watch Now TV on your iPhone simultaneously.
- Your access to all local websites and services won’t be revoked because Smart DNS does not alter you local IP address.
Bear in mind that in case your ISP uses policies such as Transparent proxies or DNS hijacking, Smart DNS won’t work for you on any device.
If you are on the search for a proper Smart DNS Proxy service, try out Unlocator. Last time I checked they were unblocking 120 internet channels. They do provide a free 7 day trial. Check out this Unlocator guide to see how easy it is to setup Smart DNS on Apple TV.
How to unlock American Netflix on Apple TV in UK using VPN
A virtual private network, commonly known as VPN, can change your virtual country from UK to USA. VPN rechannels all your internet traffic through a server in America to make it seem you’re located there. Hence, your Netflix version changes from UK to US. VPN has additional advantages as well.
- VPN performs a full data encryption to protect you from hackers, spies, and intrusive neigbors.
- VPN gives you the capability to go online anonymously. Therefore, websites cannot track your online activity anymore.
- VPN is relatively easy to set up. Simply create an account and follow further instructions.
- Unlike Smart DNS, VPN works without trouble even if your ISP uses DNS hijacking or transparent proxies.
- If you do use VPN all your traffic is redirected to the USA, which means for devices with VPN enabled you can not watch UK BBC Iplayer while watching USA Netflix.
Some devices, like Apple TV, do not have a VPN client installed on them. If you want to unblock US Netflix on your Apple TV, you need to install VPN on a VPN compatible router or alternatively enable network sharing on your computer and connect Apple TV to it. We’ve prepared an article that has more info and instructions about both methods. If you would rather not do either of those, Smart DNS is your way to go.
Our pick a of a good VPN provider is ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN offers a set of apps for PC/Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android. This makes the setup a matter of minutes on those devices.
American Channels that are supported on Apple TV
Apple TV offers a range of streaming channels that includes:
- Disney Channel.
- Fox Now.
- HBO Go.
- Hulu Plus.
- NFL Now.
- WWE Network.
- HBO Now.
How to watch US American Netflix on Apple TV in UK – The Wrap Up
Both VPN and Smart DNS proxies will allow you to change your geolocation and watch US Netflix from UK, Ireland, or anywhere else. Which method you choose is basically up to you. In case you need further info about Smart DNS proxies or VPN, please get in touch with us by leaving a comment below.