Smart TVs can be expensive but at least they save you the money you need to pay for an additional streaming device, and they do help in cord cutting. Fortunately, there are two methods which allow you to use your Netflix account to unblock American Netflix in the UK. Both VPN and Smart DNS proxies allow you to bypass geographic restrictions and unlock geoblocked content like US Netflix on Smart TV in UK.
How to watch American Netflix on Smart TV in UK using VPN or Smart DNS proxies
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
How to unblock US Netflix on Smart TV in Britain using VPN
Alternatively, you can use VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access American channels such as Netflix on your Smart TV. The major difference between VPN and Smart DNS is that VPN re-routes your entire internet connection via a foreign server. Given you choose an American VPN server, you will be able to stream all US-exclusive content on your Smart TV. We summed up VPN’s advantages for you.
- VPN changes and hides your IP address. Hence, you can go online anonymously.
- VPN performs a complete data encryption to protect you from hackers, curious neighbors, or nosy agencies.
- VPN works properly even if your ISP uses DNS hijacking or transparent proxies.
- VPN can be easy to set up if the device has a VPN client installed.
Since Smart TVs do not have VPN clients, you need to enable VPN on your Smart TV indirectly. We have posted an article which includes information and instruction on how to enable VPN on Smart TV in order to unblock US Netflix in UK.
When thinking of setting up VPN, the most important step is to carefully choose your VPN service provider. I have tested several VPN providers, and the three listed here are the most reliable.
How to unlock American US Netflix on Smart TV in UK using Smart DNS proxies
Smart DNS proxies rechannel the chunks of your connection that are related to your geolocation. This will allow you to trick Netflix and similar streaming apps to ‘think’ you’re located in USA whereas you’re still lying on your couch in UK. As a result, you will gain access to the American Netflix library. We’ve prepared a bullet list containing Smart DNS benefits.
- When you use Smart DNS, you can watch multi-regional streaming channels simultaneously. In other words, you can stream US Netflix and BBC iPlayer without having to change your initial Smart DNS configuration.
- Smart DNS will not reduce your internet speed.
- Smart DNS allows you to retain your local IP address.
- Smart DNS works on almost all internet-enabled devices including all brands of Smart TVs.
- Note : If your ISP deploys DNS hijacking or transparent proxies, Smart DNS proxies won’t work on your Smart TV.
In case you’re searching for a Smart DNS service provider, you might give Unlocator a shot. The fact that Unlocator provides DNS codes that unblock about 120 streaming services made it my preferred Smart DNS service. Unlocator do have videos and guides on how to use DNS codes on Smart TV. Feel free to check their 7-day no strings attached trial, too.
Top Smart TV Manufacturers
Many Smart TVs come with a pre-installed Netflix app. Hence, streaming Netflix directly on your Smart TV seems the most suitable way. If you already own a Netflix account or plan to purchase one, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind. First, the Netflix library in the US region is three times the size of that in the UK region. Second, US Netflix has early access to top new releases.
The methods reported above should be working on the below brands.
Best American Streaming Apps on Smart TV
Again, all of the below should work with either method listed below
- Hulu Plus
- HBO Go
- NBC Sports
- Amazon Instant Video “USA Version”
- HBO Go
- WWE Network
How to watch US Netflix on Smart TV in UK – The Wrap Up
The absence of a VPN client on Smart TVs makes Smart DNS proxies the preferred choice when it comes to unblocking US Netflix on your Smart TV. That doesn’t mean that VPN won’t work for you if you follow the instructions provided to enable VPN on Smart TV. In the end, the choice is all yours. We’ll happily provide you with additional assistance in case you cannot make up your mind on what to choose.