If you want to change your Netflix region and watch US Netflix outside USA using VPN. You need to configure VPN first. Devices such as Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Playstation, Smart TVs,Wii, and Xbox do not have a VPN client installed. Therefore, you have to either connect these devices to a VPN enabled router or connect them to your computer via network sharing. In this article, you will find instructions on how to install VPN on your router.
How to set up VPN via router
Devices that need a VPN router to get a US IP through VPN
Here is a list of streaming devices without a VPN client. The VPN setup methods on such devices doesn’t differ much from one to another.
- Apple TV
- WD TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Wii/Wii U
- Xbox One/360
- Playstation (PS3/PS4/PS Vita)
- Smart TV
- Nintendo 2DS/3DS
- Blu-ray Players
- DVD Players
- Roku (Streaming Stick, Roku 1, Roku 2, Roku 3, Roku HD, Roku 2 HD, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 XS, Roku LT)
List of commonly used VPN enabled routers
- Asus: RT-N16, N66U, AC68U, AC66U
- Linksys: E900, WRT54GL, E2500, E4200, E1200, E2000
- Netgear: R7000, WNDR3700
- TP-Link: WDR3600
How to enable VPN on Apple TV via Router
- The first and foremost step to enable VPN on Apple TV is to obtain a VPN account. If you are searching for a good VPN provider, try ExpressVPN has over 97 servers distributed around the globe and offers around the hour support.
- After you’ve obtained your VPN router, you need to connect your VPN account details. This slightly differs from one router to another. However, if you own one of the routers listed above, this process is relatively easy. Please refer to your VPN service documentation. Depending on your router, you should be able to choose from OpenVPN/PPTP and L2TP.
- Once you’ve set up your router with VPN, you must connect the streaming device to that router via the wireless network. Alternatively, you can connect your some devices to the router through a WLAN cable.
- Keep in mind that all devices connected to your VPN router, such as your Smart TV, Xbox, Playstation, Blu-ray player, or Roku, will be connected to the internet using the router’s IP address. That’s why you can now access Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Vudu, Crackle, or WWE Network on any devices connected to the router.
- If you do not own a VPN router and don’t plan on purchasing one, you can also enable VPN on your device via network sharing.We’ve prepared an article which shows you how to install VPN on PC or Mac and connect Apple TV to it. Otherwise try a Smart DNS Provider which works on all devices instead without the need for extra hardware.