Most people are unsure of the legality and safe use of Kodi. Therefore, they hesitate when considering to install Kodi either on their Mac, PC, Amazon Fire TV, Android, Linux or any other device that is capable of video streaming. For starters, Kodi is a free open-source software that was initially called XBMC, designed for the Xbox. This therefore implies that Kodi in itself is legal. It has various functionalities that include streaming media from your local network or from the web. The use of unofficial Kodi addons such as Exodus or Pulsar to stream video content might rise a sense of doubt towards the legality of Kodi itself. So, is Kodi safe and legal? Read on to find out more about Kodi’s legal standpoint as well as how to use it safely and anonymously.
Is Using Kodi Safe and Legal in UK?
Is Kodi Legal in UK?
IS KODI SAFE TO USE?
Generally, the use of Kodi poses no threats to an individual who is sure of what he’s doing. However, as with most activities you might choose to engage in online, the use of Kodi does pose certain risks that may render it unsafe.
- Unofficial Kodi Addons: To be frank, the best add-ons you can find to install on Kodi are unofficial. They give you access to the newest movies, top tv series and also, live sports coverage. The only disadvantage is that installing such add-ons from unofficial libraries can leave you exposed.
- MITM Attacks: Man-in-the-middle attacks can leave your personal information compromised when a hacker interferes with the connection between you and Kodi.
- ISP Monitoring: Your Internet Service Provider will always be aware of anything you do online regardless of the device, software or app you could be using. This includes the websites you visit, the files you download as well as the movies you choose to stream. Due to this, users who stream through unofficial Kodi add-ons (e.g Exodus) might receive warning letters from their ISP.
- Hackers and Scammers: Open-source software has over the years become a target for hackers to attack and phish private information from unsuspecting streamers. Kodi, unfortunately, is no exception.
- Kodi Pre-Loaded Android TV Boxes and Amazon Fire TV Sticks: Be careful not to fall prey to unscrupulous TV Box sellers who might fill them with add-ons that might not work, thus leaving you open to various security risks.
- Copyright Trolls: The issue with Kodi add-ons that allow you to stream torrent files is that they might include your IP address in the file’s torrent swarm and use it to keep a log of your activities online.
How to Keep Kodi Safe?
When using Kodi, always be sure of what you are doing. Ensure the website that you use to find out how to setup and install Kodi and its addons is credible. This is important as it prevents exposure to any online security risks. As a security measure, you will find that most Kodi-related articles recommend the use of a VPN since it does a lot in protecting a user’s private and sensitive data.
Once a connection is established between your computer and a VPN server, all your online activity is encrypted. This means that your ISP, copyright trolls, or any Man-in-the-middle attack won’t be able to phish out anything to do with your Internet use. They won’t be able to know what sites you visit, what files you download or even what movies you stream.
If you are keen on ensuring online privacy, use VPN. IPVanish is ranked as the most-used VPN with Kodi.
If you wish to consider other providers as well, the following list should provide enough tested options.
Is Kodi Safe? Additional Tips and Tricks
Interested in other measures you can apply to ensure your online privacy? Have a look at the information provided in the following links.
- The best VPN providers to use with Kodi.
- Installation and Setup of Kodi VPN on PC, Mac, Android TV Boxes, Linux, or Amazon Fire TV Sticks.
- The best Kodi add-ons in UK.
So, Is Kodi Safe and Legal in UK or Not?
Whenever you go online, your IP address is visible to whatever website you choose to visit and also whichever app you choose to use. This address makes it possible to identify your physical location as well as any other personal information. The most secure way to use Kodi is to install a VPN. There is no point in taking the risk to watch TV shows, stream movies or follow live sports on Kodi without connecting to a VPN first.
*Disclaimer: This article is only intended for educational purposes. We do not in any way condone, promote or encourage, any criminal or illegal activity. Your actions are your responsibility. Please check your local laws regarding torrents and pirated streaming.