How to watch American channels on Roku in UK? The Roku Box and Roku Streaming Stick are two of the best streaming devices out there. Unfortunately, American channels like US Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, NBC Sports, Crackle, HBO Go, and ABC are all geoblocked. In order to unblock these channels in UK, you have to either use VPN or Smart DNS.
Watch American Channels on Roku in UK Unblock via VPN DNS Proxy
Step 1: Create an American Roku Account in UK
You cannot add US channels to your Roku if you do not own an American Roku account. Follow the steps listed below to create a US Roku account in UK.
- Configure either VPN or Smart DNS on your computer. This step is necessary!
- Next, go to https://my.roku.com/index and click on ‘Create account’.
- Complete the required info and then click ‘Continue’.
- Choose a Pin and click ‘Continue’.
- Then, choose your payment option: Paypal or Credit Card.
- Choose Paypal if you already own a Paypal account even if you own a UK Roku account.
- Use a valid US address to create your American Roku account. You can use California as your state and 90210 as your zip code.
- If you choose Credit card as your payment option, you have to use your real street address that is associated with your credit card.
- You have to convert the postal code into a valid zip code.
- To create a valid zip code, take the digits from your postcode. The postal code A1B2C3 becomes 123. Add zeros to the end if you have less than 5 digits in your postal code. So the 123 becomes ZIP 12300.
- You have finalized your US Roku account,
- Reset your Roku streaming device to factory settings.
- Finally, into your Roku using your newly created American Roku Account.
Unblock American Channels on Roku – Important Info
Now that you have an American Roku account, you will be able to add US channels to your Roku. You still need to either use VPN or Smart DNS to stream content via these channels however. Keep in mind that you cannot configure the Roku’s network settings manually. Setting up Smart DNS or VPN has to be done on router level. Another thing you need to know is that you cannot add UK and US channels simultaneously to your Roku. If you want to watch American channels on Roku without losing access to UK channels like SKY, ITV, or BBC iPlayer, you should have two Roku devices: One for US channels and another for UK channels.
Watch American Channels on Roku via Smart DNS Proxies
Linksys, TP-Link, D-Link, and Airport Express routers all support Smart DNS. If you own a router provided to Sky or BT, you will have to connect a secondary router to it using an Ethernet cable and setup Smart DNS on that secondary router instead.
- Once you have configured Smart DNS on router-level, you will be able to watch American channels like Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, Crackle, and ABC Go on Roku in UK.
- Smart DNS does not change your IP address. Therefore, you will not lose access to UK streaming channels like BBC, Channel 5, Channel 4, or Sky.
- Using Smart DNS on router level unblocks American channels on all your streaming devices. This includes Fire TV, Apple TV, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Smart TV, Android, PC, Mac, and iOS devices.
Beware. Not all Smart DNS proxy services support Roku. If you choose to use Smart DNS to watch American channels on Roku in UK, head over to Unlocator. Sign up for a free 7-day trial and then follow their setup guides to configure Unlocator DNS on your router.
Unblock US Channels on Roku using VPN
VPN-compatible router are much less than Smart DNS compatible router. DD-WRT and Tomato based router are two kinds of routers you can setup VPN on. Although setting up a VPN connection on these kinds of routers needs some advanced know-how, you can follow setup guides provided by VPN providers liketarget=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”> ExpressVPN to get the job done.
- Once you have setup an American VPN connection on your router, all devices connected to that router will appear to be located in USA.
- Your UK IP address will be hidden. Your browsing activity will appear to be originating from USA instead.
- As long as you are connected to an American VPN server, you will be able to watch US geoblocked channels on all your streaming devices, including your Roku.
- VPN encrypts your traffic, making it impossible for possible eavesdropper to spy on what you are doing online.
target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”>ExpressVPN are the go-to VPN providers when it comes to watching US channels on Roku in UK. They provide a 30-day refund period, so you can always get your money back if you are not overly satisfied. Besides ExpressVPN, you can use either of the two other VPN services to bypass regional restrictions imposed on American channels abroad.
How to Unblock and Watch American Channels on Roku in UK?
Bypassing geographic restrictions on Roku certainly takes more effort compared to other streaming channels such as the Amazon Fire TV or the Apple TV, but then again there is a much wider variety of streaming channels you can choose from on a Roku device. Using either target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”>VPN or Smart DNS will allow you to watch American channels on Roku in UK.