Roku, in its different versions, probably is one of the smartest streaming devices. Roku has more channels than Apple TV, Amazon Instant Video, and Chromecast which makes it an obvious choice for people who seek on-demand entertainment. Netflix, possibly the best streaming channel of all, is also available on Roku. However, UK citizens do not have access to the same vast Netflix library as their American counterparts. Not only does US Netflix Region have far more movie titles and TV shows to from, new movies and shows are often released on it before the UK. The interesting point though is that you can use the Netflix account you’ve created to access UK Netflix to watch the American version. To make this happen, you need one of two solutions: VPN or Smart DNS proxies. Keep reading to find more info about how VPN and Smart DNS help you unlock geoblocked content such as US Netflix.
How to watch American Netflix on Roku in UK using VPN or Smart DNS Proxies
How to watch US Netflix on Roku in Britain using Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS proxies will redirect the chunks of your connection that are related to your location. This way you’ll be able to bypass geographic restrictions and access geoblocked channels such as US Netflix, CBC Canada, BEIN Sports, and Canal Plus. Smart DNS proxies have extra advantages.
- Smart DNS proxies allow you to stream channels belonging to more than one region at the same time. Watch BEIN Sports and US Netflix simultaneously without making changes to the initial Smart DNS setup.
- Smart DNS does not encrypt your traffic. This leads to no slow down your internet speed.
- Your local IP address is not altered, so local websites will be available for you to access at all times. In other words, you can watch BBC Iplayer and American Channels at the same time “Unlike VPN”.
- Smart DNS is compatible on nearly all devices including Roku, Smart TV, Playstation, and Xbox.
Beware: Some ISPs deploy policies such as DNS hijacking and transparent proxies which turn Smart DNS ineffective.
One of the better European Smart DNS Providers is Unlocator. They offer you DNS codes which can unblock up to 120 streaming services. Check these videos and tutorials which provide sufficient instructions on how to set up Smart DNS proxies.
How to unblock American Netflix on Roku using VPN
A virtual private network, VPN, will allow you to trick your Roku device into thinking that you are located in the US instead of Britain . This happens because all your traffic is piped through the VPN server. As a result, you can watch US Netflix and all the other channels that are only available in America via Roku. Using VPN has other benefits.
- In addition to changing your IP address. VPN also cloaks it so that you’re granted online anonymity.
- Total data encryption means that your properly guarded against sniffers who tries to spy on the stuff you do online.
- Once you’ve set up VPN, all geoblocked channels belonging to the region you selected your VPN server in become unblocked.
- VPN remains competent even if your ISP utilizes DNS hijacking and Transparent proxies.
Since Roku does not have a built-in VPN client, you either have to set up VPN on a compatible router or share you computer’s VPN connection with your Roku.
If you’re searching for a VPN providers, give ExpressVPN a try. The offer apps for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android. And easy to follow setup guides.
List of USA Compatible Roku Devices
Note that using Smart DNS or VPN, you’ll be able to set up an American Roku account, too. This means you’ll get all the Roku channels that are exclusively available in America such as HBO GO, Crackle, WWE Network, and Hulu Plus.
Roku has a wide range of Netflix ready devices including:
- Roku 1 (2710)
- Roku HD (2500, N1100)
- Roku HD-XR (N1101)
- Roku DVP (N1000)
- Roku 2 (2720)
- Roku 2 XS (3100)
- Roku 2 HD (3000)
- Roku 3 (4200)
- Roku LT (2400,2450,2700)
- Roku SD (N1050)
- Roku XD (2050, 3050)
- Roku XDS (2100)
- Roku Streaming Stick (HMDI 3500) (MHL 3400, 3420)
Apart from Netflix, these channels are also available on Roku:
- Hulu Plus
- Amazon Instant Video
- HBO GO
- HBO Now
- NBA Game Time
- Disney Channel
How to watch US Netflix on Roku in UK – The Wrap Up
There you have it. VPN and Smart DNS proxies are the way to go if you want to truly enjoy unrestricted internet. If you’re new to all this, you probably still have some issues you’d like to learn more about. Don’t hesitate to leave a comment so we can aid you with any issues you might face.