If you think Netflix provides all its subscribers across its regions with the same content, you’re mistaken. It’s widely known that American US Netflix region contains a larger library compared to UK Netflix. But why settle for one Netflix version when you can access all using one Netflix account? All you need is Smart DNS or VPN. Info for both can be found in this guide on how to change from one Netflix country to another and flip through Netflix regions using a simple switch.
US Netflix vs UK Netflix – Change Netflix region using Smart DNS or VPN
Note: As of the October 24th, 2016, I have tested both ExpressVPN and can confirm that it still works. If you are receiving the following Netflix proxy error (netflix.com/proxy). “You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.” use ExpressVPN in order to watch US Netflix again.
Switch Netflix region to USA – VPN Method
VPN, or Virtual Private Network, directs all your traffic through a private tunnel this ensures your anonymity . A VPN provider will allow you to choose from different VPN servers. The location of the VPN server you choose determines the IP address you get. In other words, if you live in UK and choose a US VPN server, you’ll get an American IP address and vice versa.
- While you don’t need to change anything when switching Netflix regions with Smart DNS, you do need to select a different VPN server whenever you want to change Netflix regions with VPN.
- Setting up VPN on Android, PC, Mac, and iPhone/iPod is pretty much straight forward. Choose a VPN provider. Download their VPN app. Choose the region you want.
- In case you wish to change your Netflix region on devices like Xbox, PS4, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, or Smart TV, you have to set up VPN on a compatible router instead.
- VPN does decrease Internet speed by 10%. That’s mainly because of the data encryption VPN performs.
- No need to worry about DNS Hijacking or Transparent Proxies. VPN does not stop working even if your ISP uses these methods.
The most important thing you should check before signing up for a VPN provider is the number of VPN locations they offer. ExpressVPN, my favorite VPN provider, offers servers in 66 different locations. Thus, I can change my Netflix region to US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Netherlands, Brazil and many more.
Below you’ll find a list of the top VPN providers when it comes to switching your Netflix region to US or UK. With VPN, you can unblock all Netflix regions and change back to your original Netflix region as well.
How to change Netflix region to USA – Smart DNS Method
The location where you created your Netflix account does not determine the Netflix version you get. Netflix simply looks at your IP address and provides you with the Netflix region accordingly. This means that you can access different Netflix regions by hiding your true location. All this is possible using one Netflix account thanks to Smart DNS proxies.
- Smart DNS allows you to switch back and forth between different Netflix regions. This means your Netflix library will be drastically upgraded. You don’t even have to reconfigure Smart DNS every time you want to switch. One Smart DNS setup is enough.
- All your streaming devices can be set up with Smart DNS. Switch Netflix regions on iPhone, Android, PC, Mac, Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, PS4, Xbox, and Smart TV.
- Since Smart DNS only has to redirect your connection partially, you’ll suffer no Internet speed loss.
- You get to retain your local IP address when using Smart DNS.
- In some cases, an ISP applies DNS Hijacking and Transparent Proxies both of which prevent Smart DNS from functioning. Make sure your ISP does not use such methods.
Verify that whatever Smart DNS proxy service you choose does not impose a limit on the number of Netflix region switches you are allowed to perform. With Unlocator, I can freely change my regions whenever I wish. They also have 220+ unblocked streaming channels and videos/guides for just about any device. You can try their free 7-day trial.
American US Netflix vs UK Netflix : What is different
While US Netflix is clearly superior, UK Netflix has its own special movies and series. In the end, you don’t have to settle for one Netflix region. It’s possible to change Netflix regions and access any content as long as its available in one Netflix country. Keep in mind that Netflix specials such as House of Cards, Orange is the new Black, and Marco Polo are available on all Netflix regions.
How to change Netflix region: American US Netflix vs UK Netflix
Netflix is available on almost any streaming device you can think of.
- Windows PC.
- Apple Mac.
- PS Vita.
- Smart TV.
- Blu-ray Player.
- Amazon Fire TV.
- Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Google Nexus Player.
Change Netflix Region to USA in UK – VPN vs Smart DNS
I didn’t really start enjoying Netflix until I figured out how to change Netflix regions. The options become truly limitless. If you still need any info or instructions about how to change your Netflix country using Smart DNS or VPN, please let me know by leaving a comment.