What is Kodi and how can I use it to watch free TV shows, channels and blockbuster movies? Previously known as XBMC, Kodi is a reliable open source software that can be installed on a wide variety of devices running Android, BSD, iOS, Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows operating systems. It is one of the best home entertainment solutions out there and the go-to app for streaming live TV channels, shows and movies. To get to learn more about what Kodi is, how to set it up, and how best to make use of it, read on.
What is Kodi? How to Use XBMC in UK
All You Need To Know About Kodi
Kodi is capable of turning most of your devices into home entertainment centers where you are now able to stream content from the Internet, local storage or your home network. You might find that a certain app from an online streaming service might not be available on your device. In this case, a number of Kodi’s community apps might come in handy. Location restricted channels also have user-made apps on Kodi.
What is Kodi? – Compatible Streaming Devices
Aside from the large array of devices you can easily run your Kodi with, you might have to jailbreak any Apple devices so as to setup Kodi on it. Follow through this link to the official download page and select from the list provided, the device on which you’d wish to install Kodi. Here’s a list of some of the devices Kodi works well with:
- Mac OS X
- Amazon Fire TV
- Raspberry Pi
- Freescale IMX6
- Nvidia Shield
- Google Nexus Player
- WeTek Play
- Razor Forge TV
- Intel Nuc
- Android TV Box, Smartphones, and Tablets
What is Kodi? – Incompatible Devices
Gaming consoles such as Wii, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One are unfortunately not supported.
What is Kodi? – Watching Local Videos
It only takes a four-step process to setup and stream content from your local hardware;
- Click on Video, then head on to click Files.
- Afterwards, search for the video, TV show or file you want to play using Kodi’s in-built browser.
- Alternatively, you can put together all the files you want to watch into one file and name it Source.
- Thereafter, click Add Files and select the new folder to save it as the source.
What is Kodi? – Streaming Live TV Channels
To stream content from the internet and watch them on your Kodi, you will need to install Kodi addons. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on Video Add-ons
- Select Get More.
- A list of channels like Youtube, Bravo, DPlay, ESPN 3, Funimation, myCanal, DMX, DR TV, HGTV, Bravo, NBC Sports Live Extra, ABC Family, NBA League Pass,, NHL.tv, MTV, ZDF PBS and Nickelodeon plus many more will appear.
- Select the channel you’d wish to add to your Kodi then click Install.
- To open your channel, click the channel again and click on Open.
What is Kodi? – Watching Free Movies and TV Shows
A number of the most well known Kodi extensions have to be installed manually. They include Exodus, SALTS and Velocity. Such addons contain a large library that consists of the newest Hollywood box office movies and American TV shows. Here’s how to install the best Kodi extensions.
- Head over to System -> File Manager.
- Click Add Source.
- Select None and enter: http://fusion.tvaddons.ag
- Click Done, then OK.
- Go back to the home screen, then click on System, then Settings, then Add-ons.
- Click Done.
- Select ‘OK’.
- From the home screen, go to ‘System’ -> ‘Settings’ -> ‘Add-ons’.
- Select ‘Install from zip file’.
- Choose ‘fusion’ -> ‘Start-Here’.
- Click on ‘plugin.program.addoninstaller-1.2.9.zip’ to install it.
- Now, from the home screen, go to ‘Programs’ -> ‘Program add-ons’.
- Click ‘Addon Installer’ and wait for it to load.
- Then, select ‘Featured Addons’.
- Select Exodus and install it.
- From the Kodi home screen, choose ‘Videos’ -> ‘Addons’ -> Exodus.
- Choose the category, movie, TV shows you want to watch and stream away.
- You can also install other popular Kodi extensions. Check out the following list for the top 20 Kodi addons.
What is Kodi? – The Best Kodi Addons
- Zem TV
- 123 Movies
- DC Sports
- USTV Now
- UK Turks
Using VPN for Kodi to Watch TV Shows/Movies Anonymously
Aside from the ability to hide your IP address, a VPN (Virtual Private Network) encrypts all of your online traffic such that your online activities can not be tracked. For Kodi users, a VPN ensures that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) remains unaware of what you choose to stream. This is especially true for add-ons such as Exodus, as well as torrent add-ons such as Pulsar and Quasar.
For video add-ons that are location-restricted, a VPN allows you to access such streaming channels regardless of wherever you are.
I highly recommend using IPVanish. They have the fastest VPN servers around and keep no logs of their users’ browsing activity. Aside from IPVanish, here are some other providers you also might want to consider.
What is Kodi? – Conclusion
Kodi is a perfect choice to stream free movies and TV shows and watch live channels for free. Aside from the fact that it’s free, it’s compatible with a wide array of devices. Make sure you are using VPN with Kodi for extra privacy as well as access to geoblocked Kodi addons.
*Disclaimer: This article is only intended for educational purposes. We do not in any way condone, promote or encourage, any criminal or illegal activity. Your actions are your responsibility. Please check your local laws regarding torrents and pirated streaming.